Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kayaking Gear Review: The Necky Sky Kayak

Necky Sky Kayak with Stern Hatch
The Necky Sky is a sturdy, smaller sized Kayak. It is easy to maneuver through the smaller creeks and rivers in the area in which I live and kayak the most--Northern Indiana and lower Michigan. I was wanting to get a Kayak that I could easily throw in the back of the van and carry down to the launch site without a cart or help from a friend. I also wanted a kayak that didn't fall short on comfort and performance.

First, the seat is a great feature on this Kayak. It is easily adjustable and well padded. Several hours in the seat and very little butt fatigue or back fatigue. Appears to be about the same seat that they use on their higher end Kayaks.

Secondly, performance--this is where this little 9' 6" craft surprised me a bit. I had a smaller Kayak about the same size, a Pelican Pulse 100, and this Kayak because of its shape and design seems to track better and seems a little faster in the water. I am a bigger person (6"1" and 200 lbs) and the fit is nice and the boat has no problem supporting my bigger frame. The larger cockpit makes entry and exit a breeze. I easily found a spray skirt to fit the opening (made by Harmony). The narrow width makes paddling easy. The foot rests are sturdy and easy to adjust.

Lastly, the Design. I was drawn to the design of this Kayak. The shape is balanced and the hull design is very pleasing to eye. The material seems to be of high quality and the stern hatch storage area is nice and roomy. All said, I'm very happy with this little Kayak. I purchased it used for 300 dollars and I think it is a great entry level--intermediate kayak. It has features that you don't normally find in its price range.

Specs:
LENGTH  9' 6" / 2.9 m    WIDTH26" / 66 cm
WEIGHT  41 lbs / 18.6 kg
COCKPIT  39.5" x 17" / 100.3 x 43.2 cm
STERN HATCH  16" x 9" / 40.6 x 22.9 cm

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the review, im thinking of buying one and needed some reviews to get my mind set.

    ReplyDelete