Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kayaking Gear Review: The Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 and Harmony Sea Passage Paddles

I'm doing my first gear review. I consider myself an intermediate kayaker and have researched gear and paddled a few different kayaks and feel that I can make a decent assessment at this point. So here is goes. The Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 is my second Kayak. It is a 14' model that I purchase because I went on a trip to some bigger water down south and wanted something a little more capable of paddling the choppy water and something with enough storage and cargo options to do some day trips and overnight paddles.

Features:
  • Phase 3 AirPro seating system, new for 2013, adds comfort and easy adjustability
  • Slide lock foot brace System for a custom fit
  • Orbix bow and stern hatch with bow and stern bulkhead provide easy entry and a tight seal
  • Includes Kayak Konsole and deck rigging so you can keep your gear secure and yet easily accessible

Wilderness Systems Pungo 140

The Pungo 140 tracks really well and is easy to paddle. I really like the larger cockpit opening and the narrow width that makes paddling much easier. This kayak glides through the water and was a great performer on the waters of Lake Cumberland. I have taken it up and down some smaller rivers and creeks and it did well in these situations as well. I traveled three states and kayaked many waterways with this kayak by now and I don't regret my purchase one bit. It is well worth the money I paid and has served me well and will continue to serve me well for years to come. It is well-constructed and the seat is amazingly comfortable. It has adjustments for height and leg support for a very comfortable bent-knee position. I rode for 5 hour paddles and was very comfortable in the seat. Easy to adjust foot rests and knee padding is a nice feature.

Harmony Sea Passage Paddles
Harmony Sea Passage Kayak Paddle with Fiberglass Shaft
This is a great paddle. I bought two of them. It is lightweight and offers smooth and powerful paddling. It seems rugged enough. The only complaint was that there was a little play in the joint where the paddles come together (I mean very little). It was an easy fix. I went to the hardware store and found an "o" ring that fit slightly above the profile of the inner sleeve. There is a notch in the top of the inner sleeve that the ring fit in perfectly. This took the wiggle out of the shaft. The manufacturer should have thought of this. It makes a great paddle even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment